Skip to main content

GOOGLE HAI NA...!

I used Google for the first time in 1999, to search the lyric of Bryan Adams' “summer of 69", just out of curiosity (the name tickled my senses). I was yet to realise, it would one-day turn out to be an integral part of my profession (couch potato scribe!). After that it hardly happened that I browsed the virtual world and not Googled.

And just like a loyal friend, Google never (almost) turned me down. I never feel short of information. I never worry about things I do not know, knowing that they are just a "click away”. But after these entire accolades, perhaps it was time to get a glimpse of the other side of the coin.
The other day, I started writing a news story at hand. As usual the first thing to do was to Google for backgrounders. But unlike the other days, my request returned with an error notice. Some problems in the server have dislodged me from the giant search engine. Oops...I decided to go on without Googling…
Then there was the next shock, when I realized that even after ten minutes of rigorous taping on the key board, I was still struggling to arrange the few information I
retrieved from my biological memory.
All my efforts to retrieve related information just led me to some flickers scattered here and there and I realized that I have never taken the pain of storing the millions of bytes I process daily (do I?)…"Google hai na (do not worry, Google is there)."
Just imagine the day when my Google quest will generate something like this…"The service you requested has been terminated for eternity." It’s high time…

Comments

Soumyadip said…
When was the last time when you rummaged though texts in the library for that elusive piece of information? I don't remember. Do you?

In my office (one full of youngsters) we segregate the population as pre and post Google.

Popular posts from this blog

Firefly Syndrome!

Friday March 24, 2006

Reminder alert of the cell phone dragged me out of sleep at 5:30 in the morning. The screen flashed FMC...FMC...FMC

"Friday Morning Class? Oh shit!"

(It's one of the hundreds of things; I am trying to absorb either into my daily or weekly schedule thanks to my new profile in a KPO.)

That means I will have to reach office 45 minutes earlier than a normal day, sit patiently in the conference room, either listening to the lifeless preaching of an unmotivated 'motivation expert' (something I hate from the bottom of my heart) or struggle to make sense out of a presentation by a Chartered Accountant or an MBA on some topic of their interest. I am the odd man out in such classes. But attending them is mandatory.

While concepts of management always tickle my senses, I feel awkward listening to CAs. The Topics they discuss hardly make any sense to me. So I have find out various ways of utilizing the time I feel I am wasting. When there's no other opti…

WISHES FOR PRITHA...

TDL

Here's a spur-of-the-moment struggling to live an organized life. Perhaps it's like a creeper trying to standalone, imitating a tree.

Suddenly I realized everything was going out of control. You have ten things to do, all of them having nearly the same dead-line. My gut feeling was that I have to rearrange my mind-set and upgrade it to 'multi tasking enabled' mode.

And I started using an organiser...get the habit of preparing ' To-Do-List'. Preparation of TDL before start working became a daily ritual. At times I have had to drag myself an extra bit to meet the self commitment. But the results of doing so in the first few days really satisfied me...

It does not take long for the nuptial to be over. I found myself revising and rearranging the TDL many time a day to meet the demand. No matter how hard I tried, there were left-over of the day's TDL, for the next day. TDLs started piling up.

Now I am a silent helpless spectator, of the TDL getting elongated every d…