Skip to main content

IS EVERYTHING FINE, IVANA?


"I am at cross roads. Khalid asked me to marry him. I want to say him yes. But for that I will have to change my religion and obey the strict rules of Islam. That's something I am not thrilled about. Shall I follow my heart or the reasoning? Please show me the right direction to go.

---Ivana"


It was time for me to be in dilemma. It's merely six months that I was introduced to Ivana, through the listings of Names Database. As it usually happens, you do not take the communications through the internet too seriously.

She was working at a local TV channel in Zagreb city of Georgia . She wrote about the problems the country is facing, embarrassing situations she faced while reporting events, quarried about the country I am living in. But I was not expecting her to seek suggestion from me in a matter as serious like this.

I was not sure what to suggest. She was facing a conflict between her mind and conscience about something that was going to decide the future curse of her life.

It was about marrying a person she loved. I remember in her second mail she wrote she choose to work, giving up studies because she needed money to visit Iraq. Khalid, whom she loved, was abducted by secret Iraqi police while he was reporting the events in Baghdad. She planned to save money out of her salary and go searching for Khalid. Silly idea, I thought, but touched by her love for Khalid.

One month later there was the mail, full of joy, Khalid was released and he was back to Jordan. Now the same man proposed to marry her, but she will have to change her religion. Will it be wrong to reject him for the fact that she will have to change her religion? Will she be able to carry on with the set of faith; she is accepting not willingly, otherwise?

I choose to suggest, "Had it been me". I would have followed my conscience, even if it was a hard decision wrote. Right and wrong are only relative to faith. I believe things became right or wrong depending upon the way we carry it after the implementation. If you are confident enough to face the consequences of the decision you have taken, then you are always right, no matter what ever it is.

That was the last correspondence with Ivana, all my mails there after remaining unanswered. Even though I know there's hardly anything I can do to make things easier for her, owing to the distance (virtually shortened, thanks to Internet), I am worried about her. Accept for sending a "Is everything fine?" mail.
Hope there will be a reply one day saying "Yes, I am fine" with some excuses for not mailing for long.

Comments

shefali said…
my prayers with ivana.human sentiments are so similar all over the world
jac said…
But I am uneasy. Relegion is a double edged sword that can be used both ways. It will be too late if you don't realise it in the biginning. Good luck, Ivana !

Popular posts from this blog

Photo courtsey: www.robi-bobi.net

ANY ANSWER?

Clemenceau… The ship that died. But didn’t stop killing. Imagine you're the State of France. What do you do with a 27,000-tonne warship full of asbestos, PCBs, lead, mercury, and other toxic chemicals, which you don't want and no European country is willing or able to scrap for you? Why, you send it off to India to be broken up by hand in a scrapyard where impoverished workers are injured and die every day? GREENPEACE, india

I AM ALIVE!

Every time I looked at the calendar I was happy, seeing the weekend coming closer. Two consecutive off days! There were so many things pending. Though I was expecting my new work profile to be consuming, but I never thought it would be so overriding. In spite of all my efforts throughout the past fortnight, I failed to manage time to blog. So, first thing I would do is to visit my favourite blogs and if possible post something, I decided. There were two tags from Jac and Aquamarine pending (almost for a month). I managed to sit and finished writing thems. But, thanks to many technical difficulties posting them remained to be a reality. Here comes another weekend and with a little time to spare, trying to post them. Here's the tag from Jac What were you doing 10 years ago? Busy cracking formulas and theories of mathematics. Five snacks you enjoy Potato chips, Aloo Bhujia, rusk, peanuts and samosas. Five songs to which you know all the lyrics Summer of 69, Best of Me, Everything I